Monday, June 15, 2009

Featured Seller - RosaleenDhu Designs


For your shopping pleasure, we are happy to introduce...

RosaleenDhu Designs


What part of the world are from?

Right between Los Angeles and Disneyland!

What does customer service mean to you?

Customer service means remembering that customers are people too, and not just potential sources of income. From brainstorming to shipping, I want to try to think of what will make my customers the most happy while still maintaining reasonable business practices.
What is your most memorable experience with a customer?

I think my most memorable customer with this shop was the lovely woman at the table next to me at my last convention. When I was setting up, she asked to see one of my scarves, and ended up being my first sale of the show. And over the next three days, I think she bought 4 or 5 more! And her friends bought another three! Fellow sellers are NOT competition. They're potential customers. ;)

What sets you apart from other sellers who are selling similar items?

Honestly, my items are pretty unique. There are some sellers out there who have animal scarves, but none of them do the neckwarmers that are my bestsellers, and the animal style is pretty different from my long ones.

How did you learn the skills that make you successful today?

I learned sewing through osmosis. My mother used to make all of my dresses for church and picture days, and I can remember making a doll quilt when I was about 5. I learned to be fearless about crafting in Girl Scouts, and that's also where I learned a lot about sales. By the time I got to high school, I couldn't rely on just being really cute to sell cookies. Being in retail for nearly ten years taught me a lot about the importance of presentation and customer service.
What is your goal for the next year?

I've got two big ones! The first one is to be more organized with my paperwork and record keeping. Taxes were not fun at all, and I want to make that whole process less painful. The second one is to come up with a product line that's a either less seasonal or more Summer-y.
What keeps you motivated when sales are slow?

I've got some pretty big shows I do spread out over the year. If etsy is slow, I can focus on preparing for those. If I don't feel like I need to work on show-prep, I use the slow time to develop new designs or learn something new.

What do you do to attract new clients and encourage repeat business?

I probably don't do as much to attract clients as I should. I renew or list items at least a few times a week. I post in the forums on etsy. I'm part of the California Crafters Club of Etsy Team. I have a blog. I have a DeviantArt account. I wear my own product when the weather allows.
I don't really do anything specificly to attract return business. I just do my best to offer quality product and excellent service, and I think that goes a long way. Most of my return customers mention being really pleased with the quality of my sewing. I do include a handwritten thank you in every package, and I like including small gifts as well.

If you could share one piece of advice with someone who is considering opening their own store of handmade items, what would it be?

No matter how carefully you calculate things, a successful shop will take over far more of your life and your house than you expect. It's not a bad thing, but be ready for it, and start planning the excuses you'll need to give the rest of your household now.

Thanks Máire! Check out RosaleenDhu Designs at http://rosaleendhu.etsy.com.

Prices range from $20-35 USD

No comments:

Post a Comment