Saturday, June 27, 2009

Featured Seller - Sugarcube Design

Your first name, and your store name?

Corinne from Sugarcube Design

What part of the world are from?

New York City

What does customer service mean to you?

I think communication is so important. Having great items listed in your shop and shipping out orders on time is essential, but I find that the things buyers appreciate the most are the little extras like a message to let them know their package is on its way or a personal note tucked in with their purchase.

What is your most memorable experience with a customer?


I had one woman that I did a custom order for a while back that was just wonderful to work with. We had a great time designing everything just the way she wanted it, and it all came together so nicely in the end.


What sets you apart from other sellers who are selling similar items?


If I don't absolutely love a design, if it isn't something that would catch my eye, I won't list it. Everything I have in my shop is something I'm very enthusiastic about. And I think my enthusiasm for my shop shines through to my customers. It's contagious!


How did you learn the skills that make you successful today?

I think everything I've done in the past, from my web design experience to my self-employment as a freelance illustrator to working for someone else in an office setting have all contributed to what I do today. They've all contributed a different set of skills, none of which I could do without today.


What is your goal for the next year?


My goal for the next year or so is to start using some of my current designs, as well as creating some new ones, on a wider variety of goods. I would like to begin screenprinting my designs onto things such as linens, pillow covers, and tees and maybe even open a second shop to showcase them all.


What keeps you motivated when sales are slow?


When things are busy, it's easy to get caught up in the business aspect of things like shipping and listing items. So when things are slow, I take use that time as an opportunity to create and try out the new designs that have been bouncing around in my head for a while.


What do you do to attract new clients and encourage repeat business?


I'm always looking for new ways to attract new clients, and I'm especially happy to try out any new geeky thing that comes along to facilitate that. Things like blogs, Twitter, Flickr are all great things to take advantage of. Of course, you can't discount basic things like handing out your business card to everyone you meet, or ensuring that your first-time customers enjoy the experience so much that they return again and again.


If you could share one piece of advice with someone who is considering opening
their own store of handmade items, what would it be?

It's really simple, but great photos and clear descriptions are essential. If you don't have a great storefront, people are going to move on to the next shop without even taking a good look around.


Do you have a current promotion or contest you'd like to share with our readers?

Yes! Right now, I have a great new line of cd sleeves that I'm very excited about. To promote them, I'll be sending a free set of matching mini-notepads with each set of cd sleeves purchased.



Thanks Corinne for being our featured seller!

Please visit Sugarcube Design at http://sugarcubedesign.etsy.com

1 comment:

  1. Great art work and design!

    FashionTouch
    http://fashiontouch.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete