Sunday, March 1, 2009

Featured Seller - Blue Nostalgia

What part of the world are you in?

I live in Waverly, Ohio, USA

What does customer service mean to you?

Good customer service along with excellent people skills is everything when you are selling online. In my store, I am willing to accept refunds with no questions asked as long as the item is returned within 14 days of purchase. I also feel good communication is of the utmost importance. Buyers are not only buying your item, but your service, and I try to keep that in the forefront of my mind with every single sale.

What is your most memorable experience with a customer?
When someone petitioned me to make them a rosary. I had never made a rosary before, and I love learning new techniques and making new items, so that made it a real pleasure.

What sets you apart from other sellers who are selling similar items?

I purchase 99% of my supplies and materials from other etsy sellers. It is very important for me to support other etsians.

How did you learn the skills that make you successful today?

Through trial and error for the most part. When I first decided to start selling my pieces, I did check out some online video tutorials, but I have found that I love to let my fingers do the "talking". Most times, I have no idea what I am going to make before I set down with my supplies. I have found some of my best pieces were made this way.

Do you have any formal training in your craft?
No

What is your goal for the next year?

My goal when opening was 4 sales a week by August, and at least 1 a day by Christmas. So far, on average, it has been 2 a week.

What keeps you motivated when sales are slow?

I just keep on keeping on. I continue to create and keep a positive attitude.
What do you do to attract new clients and encourage re-occurring business? I think the best thing you can do to encourage re-occurring business is sell a quality product. I never list an item I don't LOVE, and I would never sell a piece I wouldn't wear myself.. My heart goes into every piece, and no amount of advertising will ever be as good as a happy customer. As far as attracting new business, I try and get my name out there by posting some pictures of my work on all of the social networking sites I belong to, as well as using twitter, flickr, and trying to list new items daily. I have also held blog giveaways, and I purchase online advertisement.


If you could share one piece of advice with someone who is considering opening their own store of handmade items, what would it be?


Do what you love, and love what you do. If you are passionate about what you are doing, it will shine through in your work.

Thanks so much Ashley @ BlueNostalgia for participating in our blog. We love your jewelry, and really hope this blog brings you some views and potential business!
Visit her website, Blue Nostalgia at http://www.BlueNostalgia.etsy.com, to view her other stunning creations.
We wish you all the best!

best!

3 comments:

  1. I like the rustic quality of the brass used in this piece...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen you around etsy and your pieces are absolutely beautiful. I especially love the one featured! Great interview! Good Luck to you in lots of sales this year.

    ReplyDelete