Monday, February 2, 2009

Featured Seller Carol Bright

What part of the world are you in?
I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida


What does customer service mean to you?
I believe customer service is key to a successful business. I want to know if my jewelry is well received. If the customer is not happy then I am not either.


What is your most memorable experience with a customer?
The most memorable customer experience so for is creating a custom Ogham pendant for a proud parent whose daughter is in the Police Academy.


What sets you apart from other sellers that are selling similar items? Their are alot of talented people out there doing metalsmithing and precious metal clay. What sets me apart from them is I bring my life experiences to each of my pieces. The places I travel to and the sites I see give me inspiration for my jewelry designs. I also do custom Ogham jewelry, which was the first form of the gaelic language.

How did you learn the skills that make you successful today? Do you have any formal training in your craft? Several years ago I went with my mother to a metalsmithing class at the recreation center in our city. I never did much with that instruction at the time. Then about two years ago a friend of my mothers dismantled her metalsmithing and precious metal studio. My mother called me and asked me to come over and see if I would like any of ther equipment. I was inspired by all the equipment I was given by my gracious benifactor. Up until then I had been making my own earring wires and earrings. Now I had a complete metalsmithing studio and precious metal clay studio. I took a class at the recreation center in pmc. I started my etsy shop with the pmc pieces. Since then I have taken a couple of metalsmithing classes from a local bead shop in the brandon area. Hopefully one day I will get to one of those wonderful schools that teach metalsmithing and also certify you in precious metal clay. Until then I will keep doing what I can.


What is your goal for the next year?
My goals for next year is to possibly get some formal training in my craft. To learn some new techniques and appy them to my style. What keeps you motivated when sales are slow?
My family, friends, and customers keep me motivated when sales are down. They praise my work ,they boost my ego....Bless them All


What do you do to attract new clients and encourage re-occurring business?
I encourage repeat business by giving a free gift with every purchase. I try to create new pieces every week so the customers do not get tired of seeing the same thing.

If you could share one piece of advice with someone who is considering opening their own store of handmade items, what would it be?
My advice to new shop owners is to take good pictures of your craft what ever it is.

To see more of Carol's lovely creations, please visit her website: Bright Creations

Thank you so much Carol for the interview and best of luck in 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment