Saturday, February 21, 2009

Featured Seller - Luvly Gurumi

What does customer service mean to you?

It means being able to put a smile on someone's face at the first glance of their purchase! I take a lot of joy in what I do and just hope that my creations touch people in the same way - when it does, I know I've done my job.

What is your most memorable experience with a customer?

The most memorable experience is still to come! Being brand new to Etsy and the selling scene, I still have much to experience. I'd love to be involved in custom designing – blending ideas of others into existing things that I’ve created or just creating something brand spanking new! When you mush creative minds together, things can only get better!


What sets you apart from other sellers who are selling similar items?

A tad horrible but true, I am a stickler for the perfect stitch. Everything I make is to the best of my ability and I’d never sell anything that I don’t absolutely love myself (which makes selling them and sending them away pretty tough!). Time spent isn’t a limited factor when crafting the perfect item – it’s only complete when you’re honestly 100% happy with your creation. This means it might be a long ride, but unquestionably worthwhile if you’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

How did you learn the skills that make you successful today?

I guess I’ve always been a craft nut! I’d see something that I’d like to make then try to make it. Crocheting came naturally. While browsing on Etsy one day, I came across an awfully cute baby seal pattern (designed by the very talented Amy Gaines). I didn’t know how to crochet but just knew I wanted to make these cuties myself. One week later, with the help of google and books (and of course, lots of trial and error), my first amigurumi had taken form. Things took off from there and I was crocheting things left, right and center! Once I had enough practice, I began designing my own patterns and that’s how my collection came to be.

Do you have any formal training in your craft?

I do not have any formal training in crocheting, only thousands of stitches in practice!

What is your goal for the next year?

The goal for next year and years and years to come is to simply expand the collection! I’d love to add more characters to the family and just keep crocheting in order to improve.

What keeps you motivated when sales are slow?

Hobby first, business second. I do what I do because I whole-heartedly love making amigurumi. I want to share a piece of it with the world and I think it’s wonderful if people are interested in my products. With or without sales, amigurumi will always be my number one hobby.

What do you do to attract new clients and encourage repeat business?


I still have lots to learn in terms of putting myself out there and getting exposure. So far, I’ve been featured in blogs (like this one!) and I hope to dive into chat rooms and forums in due time. Other than that, my friends have been helping me spread the word! As for re-occurring business, I believe my items will speak for themselves – you’re bound to love them and want more!


If you could share one piece of advice with someone who is considering opening their own store of handmade items, what would it be?

Go for it! It doesn’t hurt to put a little piece of you out there to see how the world reacts. Good things ought to be shared!
We ADORE Luvly Gurumi and we know you will too! How can you not, look how cute they are!

In their first day on etsy they already made a sale, it takes most stores 3 weeks to a month to break their first sale. We know this shop will be a fav, and soon enough these items will be in high demand. Best of luck! Although we know you don't need it :)
Check out there etsy store by clicking on the cute pictures in this article or on their name,
Luvly Gurumi.

No comments:

Post a Comment