Monday, February 9, 2009

Featured Seller - Gastu

What part of the world are you in?
I'm in Iceland.

What does customer service mean to you?
Customer service is one of the most important thing if you want to be good seller. It's all about happy customer, and that's in priority for me to make them happy. Than you will also find out that more and more people are buying from you just because of what they heard from their friends ..

What is your most memorable experience with a customer?
I've just started Etsy business, but I've being running leather craft storein Reykjavík cityfor about year now and I have few memorable customers.
For example one that was sadly quite drunk (I'm in downtown) and he hadhis backpackwith him,all of a sudden he had emptied the bag and showedme purse that he had in the bottom. He told me to keep it because it wasso beautiful that I had to sew one like that my self! I told him that I wasn'ta "copycat" and than he mentioned that I shouldn't act like I was "inventingthe wheel" in the handbag business.....Luckily he haven't been at my storesince that day.


What sets you apart from other sellers who are selling similar items?
All or most of my items includes fish skin leather, that is very unique leatherthat is made here in Iceland.

How did you learn the skills that make you successful today?

It took few years until I was satisfied. I have been learning through theInternet and with books. Today I run courses sewing leather handbags.And in the last months about 130 women have already learned how to sewtheir very own bag.

Do you have any formal training in your craft?
No - not yet. I learned building engineering, but decided not to work asengineering when I finished. I think I have found what I like to day in myday job - and as my hobby...

What is your goal for the next year?
I am hoping that my design only (with great help from Etsy) can be my onlyday job. Now I have to put all my hours in showing the world how great thefish skin is.

What keeps you motivated when sales are slow?
That my hearts are racing.. My family and friends.Then I also use the time to make treasury or promoting in the Forums,and they motivate me by telling me what they feel about my products.

What do you do to attract new clients and encourage repeat business?
I send personal message(convo) to all my customers, i also sendhandwrittenthank you note sometimes with more than one business cardalong. I have decided to send gifts along with some of the orders. Whowill get it is just decided by what mood I'm in that minute..Giving doesalways makes me feel so good!
I spend all my hours talking about Gastu and Etsy, I show it off on my Facebook profile, and than I have sent letter to all the media here inIceland hoping that they are interested.

If you could share one piece of advice with someone who is considering opening their own store of handmade items,what would it be?

You have to do what you feel like, don't hesitate if you think that's the right thing to do.I would say jump for it and welcome aboard.
**We were looking through Gastu's store and we noticed a similarity in the items we clicked on,the shipping was $0! We love little perks like free shipping!

Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to us!
Visit GASTU at
http://gastu.etsy.com/!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment